Thursday, March 12, 2009

It's called delirium

I'm convinced that Thing2 is suffering from delirium caused by one or more of her medications and possibly her liver disease.

Yesterday morning she threw a wheelchair and something else out of her room. By this afternoon she was calmer.

They have reduced one of her medications, but they have increased another one. The silly nurses think that it's helping calm her. They don't realize that the agitation comes and goes. She's taken the medicine before and it didn't work then, why would it magically work this time? They don't listen to me -- actually they do listen, but then they do what they will anyway. Why do they feel they must use medicine? Isn't it enough that they keep her safe until we understand what's going on?

8 comments:

  1. I hate that it's rough on you, but keep after those nurses on this issue! I have a strong feeling you're absolutely right....

    ReplyDelete
  2. scribbs is right. no doubt you can "read" her better than they can. it's like when your child is sick, and it isn't something obvious, but you just KNOW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I think they use meds because it's easy to document and it makes it look like they're making an effort.
    Have you been able to take any time off work? This sounds so stressful. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. These docs and nurses think they can cure anything with meds. Then taking one med requires us to take another med, to counter-act the side-effects from the first med. It's a vicious circle.

    I'd keep right after them if I were you. I don't know how many times I have called this one and that one on their choices for me. Turns out my pharmasist knew better than both the nurse AND the docs.

    You know her better than they do, KIT ! Keep after 'em!!

    Oh oh, I'm getting riled up here, so will close.

    Hugs, and hope you can pound sense into some "professional heads."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers.
    Thing2 seemed better at lunch today. I hope it holds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would trust my instincts personally. My heart goes oput to you thrrough this. Maggs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stopping in to see how you and T2 are doing. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry to read that things are not going well. As always, you two are in my thoughts and prayers. Much love to both of you.

    ReplyDelete